Thursday 10 April 2014

MAD Jakarta (Modern Asian Diner)

  
I visited MAD Jakarta (Modern Asian Diner) in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday. It was not very crowded, as one could expect at this time of the day.

MAD is currently buzzing among Jakartans, mainly thanks to the good Public Relation and Marketing team behind it. As the owner comes from Singapore (where the first MAD was opened), there is always a feeling among Indonesians that it will be modern and innovative.

My first impression was good: MAD is big, probably able to accommodate over 150 people. They have a long open kitchen, a bar area and a good view over the Jakarta skyline.

The menu is attractive as well. It combines various types of Asian and Western cuisine. After a second look though, I noticed that the wording of the menu was more creative than the dishes in itself.

I went for an expensive dish, thinking it would be a great culinary journey: The Pan Seared Sea Bream & Mushroom Barley Risotto (148,000rp++). In non marketing words, it is a Risotto with Mushroom Sauce and Fish. Not that incredible actually and not that creative.
Pan-Seared Sea Bream & Mushroom Barley Risotto
The dish arrived in a medium-sized portion. Nothing too special in the presentation. The taste was rather bland. No flavors were standing out. I have eaten dozens of better risottos in my life and I don't really undertand how this dish represents Modern Asian Cuisine.

There was nothing wrong with the food from MAD, but for the price, I know I can enjoy much superior dishes in some of Jakarta's best restaurants (La Luce, Amuz, Garçon, etc...). The whole marketing of MAD about their food seemed to me a bit empty after trying it.

Overall: My main complaint is that the price I paid do not match the quality of the food I ate. I am sure that some dishes on the menu taste better and I would like to give MAD a second chance in the future. It is still a step up compared to many competitors and the atmosphere of the place alone is worth having a look.
MAD restaurant Jakarta
Lotte Shopping Avenue 4th floor
Ciputra World 1 Jalan Prof Satrio
Jakarta, Indonesia 12940

Phone number: +62-21 2988 9499

Email Corporate Group: mad@tunglok.com
Email: info@modernasiandiner.co.id

Twitter: MAD Jakarta
Facebook: MAD Singapore
Website for the corporate group: http://www.tunglok.com

Opening Hours:

From Monday to Thursday from 11am to 10.30pm
From Friday to Sunday from 10.30am to 11pm

No comments:

Post a Comment